PDA

View Full Version : Flexuality: UK Sex Study

fredtyg
Oct 6, 2010, 10:38 AM
Hope this hasn't been posted here before. I've been following the Flexuality and FlexualityX blogs and his most recent post (http://flexualityinfo.blogspot.com/2010/10/only-15-of-brits-are-gay-or-bisexual.html)is about a study done in the United Kingdom regarding, among other things, people's sex preferences.

I agree with Flexuality, no way only 1.5% of brits are homo or bi and his reasoning seems to be spot on as to why the numbers are so low. I'm still disappointed that so few people are willing to admit they're not straight.

bi-male-n-wife
Oct 6, 2010, 2:25 PM
I agree with you. I have read numerous articles, forums, and saw surveys that over 75% of males have bi-sexual desires but won't admit it. C'mon now, being bi means you have the best of both worlds.

fredtyg
Oct 6, 2010, 3:02 PM
I have read numerous articles, forums, and saw surveys that over 75% of males have bi-sexual desires but won't admit it.

We've actually had similar threads here before. I myself suggested once that most people are at least potentially bisexual inside. I'm not sure I'd go that far now, but I still think the potential is much, much higher than some think.

As bi and homosexuality becomes more acceptable, and more people start at a young age accepting it and feeling at ease about identifying themselves as bi, I'd like to think the bi/homo percentage of the population could reach 25 to 50%. I'm sure some think that might be a stretch, but I could see a large increase in such activity as it becomes more accepted at earlier ages.

Might not happen in my lifetime, though.

fredtyg
Oct 6, 2010, 3:05 PM
Oh, and to be clear; I'm not saying 25 to 50% will be actively bisexual or actually sexual all the time. Just that they might have engaged in periodic episodes of bi/homo behavior and are comfortable with it.

bisexual Bill
Oct 6, 2010, 5:23 PM
Look at the number of people polled in the survey.

Gay, lesbian, and bisexual people are a very small percentage of the human population. Most people are heterosexual and GLB people are a minority.

No not everyone that's human is bisexual or has the capability of being bisexual. Not everyone has the desire to have sex with both genders or has sexual attraction with or to the same gender and opposite gender.

This sort of thinking is just as bad as people who say that bisexuality does not exist and that being gay or lesbian is a personal choice.

If everyone had desires for sex with the same gender and/or opposite gender society would be a lot different. Heterosexuality and straights would be a minority and being bisexual, gay, and lesbian and GLB people would be a very large or moderate size of the human population.

mikey3000
Oct 6, 2010, 10:26 PM
Sorry Bill, but I have to disagree. Human sexuality has evolved over millenia and at times homosexuality was very normal and accepted. Notice that as societal norms change, so does peoples' sexuality. Widely recorded through out history.

AsianDream
Oct 7, 2010, 12:35 AM
Hope this hasn't been posted here before. I've been following the Flexuality and FlexualityX blogs and his most recent post (http://flexualityinfo.blogspot.com/2010/10/only-15-of-brits-are-gay-or-bisexual.html)is about a study done in the United Kingdom regarding, among other things, people's sex preferences.

I agree with Flexuality, no way only 1.5% of brits are homo or bi and his reasoning seems to be spot on as to why the numbers are so low. I'm still disappointed that so few people are willing to admit they're not straight.

I think that on sensitive topics like this an "in-person" doorstep survey is very unlikely to provide valid results.

I personally would either refuse to answer or say Straight if a stranger asked me for that kind of information.

From time to time - I've done my own (very informal) survey - and only around 75% of the guys I asked claimed to be Straight.

However this is on Sunday afternoon (which seems to be Married mens favourite time) talking to guys at a Gay Sauna with whom I'd just had sex.

Not that I mind - I like the idea of seducing pure hetrosexual guys - who've inoocently walked into (and accidentally paid the entry fee) to a gay sauna by mistake.

But it does show the rather low reliability of self reported sexual labels.

dafydd
Oct 7, 2010, 4:05 PM
I think I've said this before but the only thing that study showed was that 1.5% of people undertaking the study liked to talk about their sexuality to an uninvited stranger on their doorstep with a clipboard.

d

Flexuality MD
Oct 9, 2010, 7:47 PM
Hey Fredtyg, thanks for following my blogs and sharing my post about the UK study. It's unfortunate that even well-intended research can get it so wrong. And don't get me started about the gay-brain research that was so popular a decade ago. I'll post about that sometime. The problem is that researchers (and their subjects) assume that gay and straight are two distinct categories with little in-between, rather than recognizing the natural spectrum of desires.

AsianDream
Oct 12, 2010, 12:24 AM
AsianDream do you really believe that these guys are really hetero or straight?

LOL they know that they're not heterosexual or straight.

All male saunas and bath houses are clearly marked and just by going in you know what goes on there. Everyone knows that men usually go there to have sex with other men.

If they're so heterosexual or straight why are they having sex with men at all?

What is interstesing is that these guys still describe themselves as "Straight" even though they've just done some very homosexual activities.

But I guess it does go to show that the "label" someone choses for themself isn't what thay actually are - also that sexual studys are mostly very unlikely to be valid.

soahc
Oct 12, 2010, 12:41 AM
Howdy all...first post here.

Just like a horny dog, a horny man can enjoy rubbing his erect penis against practically anything.

Similarly, a horny woman can get clitoral stimulation in a variety of ways.

Emotional attachment may be different.

But for all intents and purposes, I consider any man that can get off by letting another man perform fellatio on him to be bisexual. And I would venture to guess the percentage is quite high.

The only truly gay men, in my opinion, would be men with very low testosterone. To me, testosterone=wanting to fuck women. Any man that has a lot of testosterone yet is turned off at the thought of a (esp. ovulating) female, likely has psycho-social issues that have conditioned him to respond this way.

When I am experiencing high testosterone during the day, I am only attracted to women and feminine men.

It is only when I am feeling low, depressed, and likely have low testosterone, that I feel drawn to masculine men.

Personally I suspect this is partially because I was raised without a father, but I could be wrong.

Now, when I am feeling VERY straight, the thought of more bearish men is a total turn off. Yucky. Only feminine men catch my eye. But even then, the thought of them having a penis throws me off.

At any time I could act on these impulses. When I am feeling down, I could go to a bathhouse. When I am feeling high, I could top a feminine queen.

This is why I don't like to call myself bi or straight and certainly not gay. Because I am everything. Sometimes I feel gay, sometimes straight, sometimes bi.

Fuck labels.

BUT...if I had to choose, it would be bi, because of course I am not going to limit my choices.

And that is what sexuality is. It's a choice.

Billys_gurl
Oct 12, 2010, 4:39 PM
Different comment. I took the quiz and found it interesting and right on the money. NOt many people will take it and be honest about their sexuality because they like to hide in the closet, from themselves.

Flexuality MD
Nov 6, 2010, 4:42 AM
Billy gurls, thanks for taking the test and the feedback.

Two new US surveys (http://flexualityinfo.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-many-bisexuals.html)have been published recently, and I describe them in a new blog post. The first (the GSS study) shows low rates of bisexuality and homosexuality, probably for the same reason as the UK study. The second (2009) survey is more interesting and more consistent with Kinsey's original findings of 20-30%.