PDA

View Full Version : Lost Girl

softfruit
Feb 28, 2011, 2:08 PM
:2cents: I'm surprised, I don't think there's been a thread here about this new (ish) TV show Lost Girl (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1429449/).

Central character Bo is an upfront, overtly bisexual woman and for once - ok so there's also Torchwood and Caprica in this category - the bisexuality is not just hinted or alluded to but is right there, canon, on-screen. And it seems to have made the ratings grade and got a second series commissioned.

It helps if you like powerful women ready to kick proverbial bottom, and goth-grrl sidekicks, and tall angular men. But I figure that's quite a few of us ;)

baachus
Feb 28, 2011, 3:18 PM
I've watched Lost Girl all season. The first couple of episodes are slow but it does pick up steam. The first season is 13 episodes and it has been renewed for a second season. It is a canadian show, produced by Showcase Canada. It hasn't been picked up by a US network as of yet but is available online.

The story is about Bo, a succubus who has been raised by humans. She doesn't know how to control her powers so that when she needs to feed, she drains and kills her victim. She feeds on the sexual energy of humans so the gender doesn't matter. In the first episode, she is found out by the other Fae. They inform her that she has to choose a side, the Light or the Dark Fae. She chooses humans.

It's an urban fantasy, filled with various kinds of Fae. Furies, Sirens, Shapeshifters amongst others. No werewolves or vampires, which is a nice change.

It's a good show and grows on you. The sidekick, Kenzi, is a major hoot. As Softfruit said, Bo is bisexual. There is sexual tension between Bo and a human doctor, Lauren. As well as Bo and a shapeshifter, Dyson.

NotLostJustWandering
Feb 28, 2011, 7:03 PM
She doesn't know how to control her powers so that when she needs to feed, she drains and kills her victim. She feeds on the sexual energy of humans so the gender doesn't matter.

Well, that sounds like the kind of depiction of bisexuality we all need. :eek:

Wonder how long we have to wait to see any MALE bisexual characters on a TV program?

sammie19
Feb 28, 2011, 7:13 PM
Well, that sounds like the kind of depiction of bisexuality we all need. :eek:

Wonder how long we have to wait to see any MALE bisexual characters on a TV program?

Torchwood is pretty full on in that regard. I cant wait for series 4 (Torchwood:Miracle Day) to air later this year.

Jack is delicious and Gwen's teeth can give me a little nibble any day of the week.:bigrin:

darkeyes
Mar 1, 2011, 6:48 AM
Torchwood is pretty full on in that regard. I cant wait for series 4 (Torchwood:Miracle Day) to air later this year.

Jack is delicious and Gwen's teeth can give me a little nibble any day of the week.:bigrin:

As one who has a similar tooth problem to Gwen.. can me giveya lil nibble next time me c's ya Sam?? tee hee...:tong:

djones
Mar 1, 2011, 8:18 PM

Want to get together and write a script for a pilot episode and series ? Could be a fun project.

I do know that the British show (BBC series ?) "Torchwood" had a bisexual main character (male), though I haven't seen the show. I believe it is a spin off of the "Dr. Who" franchise.

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Mar 1, 2011, 8:39 PM
Hmmmm, never heard of it. I'll have to look this one up on Hulu or Fancast..:}
Cat

sammie19
Mar 2, 2011, 5:10 AM
Want to get together and write a script for a pilot episode and series ? Could be a fun project.

I do know that the British show (BBC series ?) "Torchwood" had a bisexual main character (male), though I haven't seen the show. I believe it is a spin off of the "Dr. Who" franchise.

You really should try and catch it. there has been an undercurrent of bisexuality ever since the show started, and of the regulars I think only one hasn't had some kind of same sex relationship. Several have been killed off over time and I don't know to what extent the sensual content will remain the same if at all, but unlike Doctor Who, the writer hasnt changed, so I dont expect too much alteration to the ethos of the series.

softfruit
Mar 2, 2011, 9:46 AM
@sammie -

Torchwood - all of the regulars have been seen in bed (or wherever!) with both men and women I think? Who's the odd one out?

sammie19
Mar 2, 2011, 3:25 PM
@sammie -

Torchwood - all of the regulars have been seen in bed (or wherever!) with both men and women I think? Who's the odd one out?

I was thinking of Owen. Its not that I'm saying he never did have a same sex thing, I simply dont remember him having one. Everyone else I do.:) Maybe u can remind me.

tenni
Mar 2, 2011, 4:30 PM
I've watched two episodes on internet so far. Episode 12 & 13 came up when I clicked the "watch now" button at

http://lostgirlseries.com/

http://lostgirlseries.com/episode-guide

In those two episodes I didn't see anything too sexually titilating..(damn...lol)

All that I saw was Bo placing her mouth near a human's mouth without lips touching. She draws out some force from them. She did this to one guy and one girl.

The storyline was ok. I don't see those two episodes winning a great award but who knows. Give it a spin.

_Joe_
Mar 2, 2011, 5:34 PM

I can wait.

FOX is notorious for cancelling anything when it gets good.

DuckiesDarling
Mar 4, 2011, 4:28 AM
Torchwood I've heard of but I think it's on a channel I don't get. I'll have to search for both of these on Hulu or Fancast.

sammie19
Mar 4, 2011, 7:18 AM
I can wait.

FOX is notorious for cancelling anything when it gets good.

Talking of Fox, there was a couple of series of a drama on Sky tv called "Hex". One of the girls in that was very lesbian. She became a ghost. Sky occasionally has some quite near the knuckle dramas and if it isn't exactly crammed with same sex depictions, now that Rupert Murdoch has been given permission to buy all of Sky, will we in the UK end up having the same trouble?

sparkmaster69
Mar 4, 2011, 10:16 AM
As far as Torchwood you can get it off Netfix. Excellent show!

softfruit
Mar 6, 2011, 3:09 PM
I was thinking of Owen. Its not that I'm saying he never did have a same sex thing, I simply dont remember him having one. Everyone else I do.:) Maybe u can remind me.

First episode I think - when he has the seduction spray and ends up going home with the woman he meant to use it on and her boyfriend he didn't seem too disappointed at that outcome! :)