PDA

View Full Version : Are Bisexuals Oppressed?

tenni
Feb 4, 2014, 3:20 PM
Panti Bliss does an impassioned speech in Ireland about homophobia and oppression.

Watch her speech and consider the following:

Do you as a bisexuals ever feel oppressed?

Do bisexuals know what it feels like to be “put in your place”?

Do bisexuals stand or look at themselves sometimes and hate themselves?

If bisexuals are oppresed is it only when we look at our same sex attraction or is it due to how monosexuals (gay and straight) tell us how we are to behave, think and feel?

<font size="3"><span style="letter-spacing: 0.0px">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXayhUzWnl0#t=557

Newly_Bi
Feb 4, 2014, 6:57 PM
Honestly, I don't feel oppressed. Having been a huge minority in whatever I have done since I moved to the States, I'm used to being the underdog. Sure there are always going to be people that tell you you are wrong and you need to think/behave like them. Fuck those people in my opinion. The Constitution gives me the freedoms I have fought for while serving in the USMC, and I am not going to let someone oppress me by taking away my rights. If being with another man makes me happy, that is my right "the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" -The Constitution... And that means, if someone doesn't like the fact that I get off on blowing guys, well then that's too damn bad for them. My right pursue happiness freely is protected, them being butthurt is not.

jem_is_bi
Feb 4, 2014, 9:55 PM
I liked the video. I do not feel oppressed. I have too much else in my life that works well. But, I expect respect from others and do not associate with people who do not respect others.

tenni
Feb 6, 2014, 1:01 AM
bump this up since someone has repeated the video in another thread (One hell of a speech)

thesaltyseaman
Feb 7, 2014, 3:08 AM
She is so right on so many levels.
Oppression towards gay folk can be found in different aspects of Irish life but gratefully not as much, as the past.
Being gay in Ireland isn't as bad as it once was, as Ireland is gradually becoming more & more tolerant towards gay people.
As an openly Bisexual man I have suffered from homophobia hate/ignorance but that was several years ago.
Ireland is moving forward in the right direction for gay people & equal rights, we have same sex marriage for example.
It is Not the backward Catholic nation of the past but there are still bigots. All nations have them.