PDA

View Full Version : Is homophobia (and biphobia) a religious or psychological issue?

tenni
May 17, 2014, 7:57 AM
Is homophobia (and biphobia) a religious or psychological issue?

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/roger-covin/homophobia-michael-sam_b_5330443.html

Your thoughts?

fredtyg
May 17, 2014, 10:59 AM
Hard to say. The anti- homo attitude is based on both religious and political issues for the most part.

I have become convinced, though, that those who rant the loudest against homosexuality have more than just political or religious motives. I suspect they're deeply troubled by the homosexual thoughts in their own minds.

In fairness to the anti- homo folks, though, it doesn't help when the LGBT community gets so in your face about about some of their issues- same sex bathroom law proposals, for instance.

Wistfulhub
May 17, 2014, 1:17 PM
Have to agree mostly with you fredtyg. Homophobia/biphobia is more of a "social" indoctrination that is inhanced by religious beliefs, political and physocological influences. I tend to believe we are all sexual creatures to begin with neither gay/bi/straight. Probably our parents are the cause for phobia's or total acceptance of ourselves, while school, chruch and associates have a somewhat lesser input. I know personally that as a youngster I wanted to "play" with others. Girls were the best choice being different, but boys were easier to do something with so I experimented with boys. And I loved it. But i knew as i was growing and experimenting that I was going against what was "accepted" so kept it under wraps. Thanks to a wonderful woman whom I married was I able to fully enjoy all aspects of sexuality in humans (bisex).

Indeed those making the most noise usually have the most to hide. And why does the LBGT community want and preach tolerance but refuse to practice intolerance while going after someone with a different opinion than theirs? Live and let Love.

Wistfulhub
May 17, 2014, 1:18 PM
Indeed those making the most noise usually have the most to hide. And why does the LBGT community want and preach tolerance but refuse to practice intolerance while going after someone with a different opinion than theirs? Live and let Love.

Oops should be "refuse to practice tolerance"

fredtyg
May 17, 2014, 1:33 PM
And why does the LBGT community want and preach tolerance but refuse to practice tolerance while going after someone with a different opinion than theirs? Live and let Love.

Strongly agree.

tenni
May 17, 2014, 4:26 PM
" They consider such belief in equality to be an expression of their religious beliefs, as there are certainly biblical passages that refer to loving one's neighbour.Which raises a key question -- why is it more important to defend a law dealing with sexual orientation than it is to defend laws of love and nonjudgment toward others?"

I found the above section interesting to contemplate. Are there laws of love and nonjudgment towards others in your society?

elian
May 17, 2014, 7:26 PM
There are religious, social and psychological motivations for it.. There are some cultures, such as Japanese culture (from what I understand) where being gay in itself is not a stigma - however family is strongly valued so sex for procreation is emphasized..

Patriarchial societies who need to maintain a strong division between male and female in order to maintain their power can't stand the idea that some men would willfully give up that power ( or so they think).

There are some other cultures that recognize (and even celebrate) transgendered people.

There are some cultures that do not view poly relationships as taboo..

One thing that I learned by attending a gender studies class is that no one really wants to be labeled..there are a lot of people who aren't comfortable living up to the stereotypes of gender roles.

This is a great movie that deals with this topic "For the Bible Tells Me So"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIAEr9LsLAg

..I can't say that always support all people at all times, but having to question my sexuality forced me to have the gift of an open mind.. The majority of the time I believe that civil rights for all people is a good thing. Sometimes it is very hard to do, but try not to lament one minority group gaining rights over another - with love, patience and time hopefully people will come to understand what it is like to walk in someone else's shoes. Shouldn't coimpare yourself to others, should accept others for who they are - if we all did that, the world would be a lot better.

This was actually pretty good, even if strong reference to God language makes you uncomfortable. Human beings love stories, but it has some good points to make..

http://vimeo.com/8898059

goldenfinger
May 18, 2014, 1:59 AM
What have the US and middle east in common???

goldenfinger
May 20, 2014, 3:35 AM
Too many like this asshole in the US. You make up your own mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu4q2-nbvrw

Gearbox
May 20, 2014, 5:33 PM
I think it's psychological whether religion is involved or not. Plenty of atheist homo/biphobics about, including gay & bi's etc.
Religion shapes (or tries to) society to a degree: Hence marriage, ceremonies, tradition etc. But it can't be blamed for all morality, ethics and fears in all.
We tend to pick our own morality to suit our fears IMO. It's very easy to blame a passage in the Bible for something wicked that you do. But it would be done with or without it. Same for love! It's HIGHLY popular to blame love for the wickedness of negative emotions, but they were there waiting to be excused, protecting the fears behind them.

There is good reason to believe that this bias occurs because heterosexual men are often highly motivated to protect their masculine identity. In fact, experimental studies have shown that when you intentionally threaten men's sense of their own masculinity it causes them to act aggressively toward gay men.
The same gut reaction could be said about bi men who don't kiss? For some, it takes time to feel comfortable enough with their masculinity to kiss, as it's viewed as an emotional act and apart from the rest of the sexual act/s.

This is also (IMO) true about bi-erasing/phobic male gays, in the sense of threat to 'gay ID'. They attack any attempt to lose claim on a sexual 'gay act', preferring to label a bi male as either 'straight' or gay. 'Straight' being a sexual interloper overcome with curiosity or desperation. 'Gay' being a natural disposition and reason for same gender attraction. Bi being heresy to that, and a cause to rethink ID on all scopes. Bi's are used to it. Lucky us.:rolleyes:

aLABiM75 & StrF51
May 21, 2014, 1:38 AM
It is Psychological

It's Hate based on Fear, of Self.

zigzig
May 23, 2014, 1:54 PM
I agree that feeling aggression against gays, bisexuals is a mental thing. From my experience straight people, who know they are 100% straight, don't care about homosexuality. But hose, who feel threatened for some reason, are probably in denial about their sexuality.

elian
May 23, 2014, 6:27 PM
Yeah, well the thing is - most- people have aspects of their personality that are both dominant and submissive (or tender) - each person has strengths and weaknesses..it's a shame that people can't feel comfortable just being who they are. The different "gender aspects" of people are (usually) complementary .. and as much as people will tell you that you need to compete to survive, most people gain much more of a survival advantage through cooperation with others.

Some people do have seemingly natural charisma, but leadership can be learned - and at different times in our lives we all might display confidence and take turns leading others.

A lot of people don't see it that way - all they see is - "BIG ROCK, SMASH!!" ..

Forgive the crudeness but I just can't help but think of certain species of primates who funnel their aggression into sexual action.. feeling good is a lot better than having a huge bloody gash on your head I suppose..