PDA

View Full Version : Heteroromantic males are biSEXual!

Galarza
Dec 29, 2006, 9:18 PM
Dear Readers:

Just wanted to share the following with you.

What most of us call “sexual” orientation is really romantic orientation. This means that a heteroromantic male (straight in the romantic sense) can be biSEXual (bi in the purely sexual sense). Three tiers of orientation exist.

1) Sexual Tastes: Which sex or sexes you're SEXually attracted to

2) Romantic Orientation: Which sex or sexes you're ROMANTICALLY attracted to

3) Platonic Preference: Which sex or sexes you're PLATONICALLY drawn to

Most heteroromantic men are drawn to homoplatonic bonds with other males (e.g., “male bonding”). It is homophobia (fear of homosexuality) that keeps their innate biSEXuality from being expressed here. Still, about 70% of the population is heteroromantic, biSEXual, and homoplatonic. In this sense, bisexuality simply means SEXUAL attraction and/or activities with members of both sexes. (I’m using the term both because 95% of people are anatomically male or female and not transgendered.)

Bisexuality can be practiced by heteroromantic people (straight in the romantic sense). Because men tend to divorce sex from romance, they are more likely to have sex in and out of a heteroromantic context—if they get over their homophobia. Because females tend to require romance for sex (and because most people are heteroromantic), most heteroromantic women will remain heteroSEXual, as well. Thus, female bisexuality is about 1/3 as common as male bisexuality. It is only our society that hides this fact because it is obsessed with female bisexuality. Female bisexuality, after all, is a fantasy of straight men and doesn’t disrupt the heterosexual status quo. This is because female bisexuality is seen as “women just fooling around.” It is male bisexuality that is the real threat, which is why it must be pushed under the rug. But looking at human history, one sees that male bisexuality is more common than female bisexuality. Our society is the anomaly in the history of human civilizations.

Homophobia keeps male bisexuality hidden—and the fact that in our society, romance is the only context for legitimate sex. Even homoplatonic love makes gay sex no-no. People learn the straight/gay binary at an early age, which leaves little room for a bi identity. Teenagehood is the time when the straight/gay divide is enforced the most brutally. Teens, the so-called rebels of society, are told that they only have a 3% chance of ending up gay—and even less of a chance of ending up bi. Print, radio, TV, parents, peers, teachers, and religion pressure teens and young adults into choosing the default identity (and behavior) of straight. The latest manifestation of this indoctrination is teens saying, “That is so gay”—referring to everything they see as bad (e.g., a boring movie). This shows that straight identity, behavior, and even feelings are constructed, enforced, and chosen (consciously and unconsciously) and malleable to peer pressure and to social upbringing—just like everything else. It is the unconsciousness of this socialization process (although much of it is conscious, too) that makes people say that they didn't choose their orientation.

When men reach adulthood, they find that most women refuse to date openly bi men. This forces heteroromantic men (and biromantic men) to hide their bisexuality (e.g., the downlow phenomenon). Articles then “prove” that male bisexuality is a “myth.” Seldom do articles look at the social context that drives male bisexuality underground. Even less mentioned is the total lack of bi community—no bi cafes, no bi workout clubs, no bi sports teams, no bi music, no bi cable networks, no bi fraternities and sororities, etc. In the United States, a country of 280 million people, there isn’t a single bi bar—not even in Boston, the “bi capital” of America. Worse, nobody notices. As the saying goes, bisexuality is everywhere, yet invisible as air.

Heteroromantic people, however, have a biSEXual potential, which means that bisexuality can happen with opposite-sex romantic partners and with same-sex friends (homosocial bonds). It is the one-man/one woman paradigm (e.g., monogamy) that keeps people from openly admitting their bisexuality. Men, in particular, feel that if they enjoy gay sex, they must be turning “gay.” But one can be straight in the romantic sense and bi in the purely sexual sense. If we teased apart sexual tastes from romantic orientation from platonic preference (instead of lumping the three together as “sexual” orientation), then “sexual” politics would be romantic politics in the future. In such a world, there would be heteroromantic/biSEXual people, homoromantic/biSEXual people, homoromantic/homosexual people, biromantic/bisexual people, etc. For more info, go to www.threecirclegraph.com. I also have an article at http://www.cleansheets.com/coverstories/galarza_01.04.06.shtml

Thanks for reading!

Tony out!

twodelta
Dec 29, 2006, 9:43 PM
Heteroromantic people, however, have a biSEXual potential, which means that bisexuality can happen with opposite-sex romantic partners and with same-sex friends (homosocial bonds). It is the one-man/one woman paradigm (e.g., monogamy) that keeps people from openly admitting their bisexuality. Men, in particular, feel that if they enjoy gay sex, they must be turning “gay.” But one can be straight in the romantic sense and bi in the purely sexual sense. If we teased apart sexual tastes from romantic orientation from platonic preference (instead of lumping the three together as “sexual” orientation), then “sexual” politics would be romantic politics in the future. In such a world, there would be heteroromantic/biSEXual people, homoromantic/biSEXual people, homoromantic/homosexual people, biromantic/bisexual people, etc. For more info, go to www.threecirclegraph.com. I also have an article at http://www.cleansheets.com/coverstories/galarza_01.04.06.shtml

Thanks for posting this Tony! This says exactly the way that I have always felt. That's the reason that I've never really liked the term "Bisexual". To me, it palces too much importance on the sexual aspect. I've have always just refered to myself as "Bi". But now, I know that I am Biromantic/Bisexual!! :bigrin: Again, thanks for posting, and I'll be checking out those links tonight - Dave

TorontoGuy2007
Dec 29, 2006, 10:03 PM
that was a really interesting read.. thanks for sharing..

i have always felt that sexuality is the same.. whether your penis is getting stimulated by a male, a female, or by yourself, well, it's all the same..

it's the romantic side that adds to the physical experience and makes it the total package..

interesting thoughts there about male bonding.. i do have guy friends, but in terms of actual intimacy and sharing deep thoughts and secrets, all my closest best friends are female.. many of whom i also have romantic and sexual feelings for, but never express them...

Long Duck Dong
Dec 29, 2006, 10:21 PM
now thats what i call a good read

it shows truly how tangled bisexuality actually is.....and how misunderstood it is

if its free to use, I am gonna copy it and add it to my files....so i can print it out and hand it around a few people

its similiar to what i tell people.....that bisexuality is multi faceted....i just never managed to say it in such clear terms lol

LoveLion
Dec 29, 2006, 10:34 PM
Very interesting and quite true. Thanks for this

someotherguy
Dec 30, 2006, 7:51 AM
I'm a confirmed antilabelist. No, this does not mean I am against labia. It means I can't stand labels, handy as they may be for defining who we are. Were I a social scientist I would sing a different tune. The entire naming scheme for humanity has always seem suspect to me. What good does it do?

My earliest example was race, which is obvious, but the effect was prejudice, as we called bigotry back then. The problem was that black people were not allowed the same wealth and privileges as white people. The designation of black or white was unavoidable, but there was some gray area, or, brown area, with people who were not quite all white but certainly less black than white, yet not allowed to be white unless they were undoubtedly all white.

From there it was gender, nationalism, religious beliefs, ideology or political affiliation, class, and finally sexual orientation. In each case the designation or label had only one purpose: to divide and conquer. Personally I could see little truth in any of these designations because they were almost always described either as all good or all bad, as people tend to do with polarization. The basic theme seemed to be "us versus them". The theme itself became suspect. It seemed part of every bad example in human history.

My result has been to adopt Pogo's famous insight: We have met the enemy, and they is us!" For sexual orientation labels, it's not that I don't agree with the current taxonomy, it's that I don't care. You all are welcome to, by all means. But for me, I prefer taking people one or two at a time, as individuals or couples, using our time together slaving away at the chores of pleasure. So much to do, so little time to profess identity.