PDA

View Full Version : Is there such thing as being attracted to Names??

deletetacount123
Apr 27, 2007, 5:17 PM
For as long as I can remember Ive always loved certain names.... Ive known several people with different names but Ive always felt a more closer connection with those that had the names Im attracted to.

Is there such thing as being attracted to a name??
Why do we tend to like some names more than others?

Even tho its JUST a name to call that person by.

Even tho some people with the name are nice while others of the same name are not nice.

Is it a sign perhaps that you're gonna end up with someone that has the name??
Is it common to have name perferences just cause you like the name itself??

Names are interesting.... Ive always wondered about the names Im super drawn to for no reason lol (Some belonged to people I know or used to... other are names of people I have never met)

Tasha

Keliana
Apr 27, 2007, 5:22 PM
Names are very interesting. I don't know too many Kelianas, so when I meet new people it becomes a topic of conversation. It certainly breaks the ice.

DuskTillDawn
Apr 27, 2007, 5:24 PM
I have found I have a "thing" for guys with a certain name. Its defffinatly not because I like the name because I don't, its like a wierd coinsidense (cnt spell) - even tho I dont believe in them.

Dagni
Apr 27, 2007, 6:36 PM
I don't know. Some names are very hard to pronaunce, and i'm not that fond in anglo names, sounds too ordinary and you can find it on every step.
Can someone pronaunce my full name on Finnish and to find anything attractive in that: Hänelle-Riika Dägni Kankkunen.
It's pretty weired even for Estonians and Swedish, not to mention other nations.
The name of my wife is very attractive: Ingebjørg.
Or some Slavenian names, like Anna, Maria, Natasha, Alexandra,...etc.
But from all names and all exciments this year, only one male name is very attractive in all fields: Kimi (Formula 1 Ferrari driver).

TaylorMade
Apr 27, 2007, 6:40 PM
If I see a guy named Bret(t) or Dustin, I will give him a second look Just because of his name.

Same with a woman named Angie or Kim.

Just one of those things.

*Taylor*

Keliana
Apr 27, 2007, 6:50 PM
If I see a guy named Bret(t) or Dustin, I will give him a second look Just because of his name.

Same with a woman named Angie or Kim.

Just one of those things.

*Taylor*

I have a bf named Brett...lol. Should I keep an eye on him??

J/K...lol.

deletetacount123
Apr 27, 2007, 7:00 PM
I looooove the names: Elizabeth, Jane, Maria, Laura, Kathleen and Sara/Sarah.
I only know people named Maria (Herbie lol) and Sarah so the other names are ones Im just drawn to. Just am. Especially Elizabeth.

There is one male name i DISTEST... I hate it. I get bothered just cause of the name and I don't know why... I have NEVER known a "Charles" in my life.
I don't like Billy just cause the meaniest male bully I knew was a Billy... now think about it Billy rythmes with Bully :) lol
I do not have any favortie male names....

TaylorMade
Apr 27, 2007, 7:10 PM
I have a bf named Brett...lol. Should I keep an eye on him??

J/K...lol.

:p

Only Male name I never really liked- - Jim. Till I dated one. Or if I ever meet a Dylan or a Taylor...I will hurt them in a good way.

*Taylor*

Fire Lotus
Apr 27, 2007, 7:12 PM
I only know people named Maria (Herbie lol) and Sarah so the other names are ones Im just drawn to. Just am. Especially Elizabeth.

There is one male name i DISTEST... I hate it. I get bothered just cause of the name and I don't know why... I have NEVER known a "Charles" in my life.
I don't like Billy just cause the meaniest male bully I knew was a Billy... now think about it Billy rythmes with Bully :) lol

I happen to have two of the female names you love........ ;)

deletetacount123
Apr 27, 2007, 7:18 PM

Ooooh which ones? :)

{Edited) sent me a PM... nice names hehe I think Im in love now. *sighs*

FalconAngel
Apr 27, 2007, 7:34 PM
Words are very powerful things and names more so.

I am about to get a bit metaphysical here, so bear with me, please.

What's in a name? Quite a bit.
Certain names produce certain long-term effects on the individuals throughout their entire lives. In many religions, Names are so critical that parents spend months deciding on the names of their children, not for names that they feel any personal attraction to, but names that bring with them certain magical or cosmic significance.

For instance, the Name Rhiannon is not necessarily a name that most Pagan folk would be willing to saddle their daughter with because of the difficulties and trials in life that will come with that name. (feel free to look up the Rhiannon legend in Irish folklore)

Conversely, the name Alexander may not conjour any specific desires in most folk, but it does exude power and strength for almost everyone that hears it. One need only look in a decent baby book which has the name meanings to see the significance of a name.

Now when we decide that we like certain names, it is the vibration of that sound on our own individual aural "chemistries". Since each person is different, then different sounds and names will have different effects on each of us.

So, can we feel an attraction to certain names? Yes, we can. Names are very powerful, just like any words.

bigirl_inwv
Apr 27, 2007, 7:45 PM
There aren't any names that I find myself attracted to. But I always get comments when I tell people what my name is. Like "Oh, that's so pretty I've never heard that before!" or "Wow. That's an awesome name." I don't know why. I don't think its that cool...but I guess it's been mine all my life, so I'm used to it. lol.

deletetacount123
Apr 27, 2007, 7:45 PM
Falcon.....

I often wonder if names we like so much have some kind of meaning behind them.
Sometimes I look at the names I like a lot.... and it seems 1 or more I feel like I KNOW this person with that name but I don't... never have.
Could it mean I WILL in the future?? Maybe its not time to meet that person but I was given a clue to the name... whenever its a first name or middle name.

I have strong feelings towards Elizabeth. I have never known an Elizabeth in my life.

The name Elizabeth got popluar due to the first queen Elizabeth but for me, I feel the name has nothing to do with the queen. lol Just that they share the name.

Tasha

Dagni
Apr 27, 2007, 7:53 PM
I have strong feelings towards great Elizabeth Bathory.

deletetacount123
Apr 27, 2007, 7:57 PM
I have strong feelings towards great Elizabeth Bathory.

The "vampire" that bled virgins to bath in thier virgin blood cause she believed the blood kept her looking young.

But wasn't her name spelled differently?? Elisabeth ? ( s not z )

onewhocares
Apr 27, 2007, 8:38 PM
Yes, I do agree that we can have enourmous attraction to certain names. I love strong, confident names, and it has been my experiance that the personalities reflect their name...LOVE...David, Henry, Robert, Ames, Payton, Cameron, Camden. Winston.... For females I love Olivia, Kendall, Ronan, Sarah, Emily... all strong, vibrant and self assured women.... Much better than my name. My mother wanted to name me Penelope. Can you imagine.

Belle

TaylorMade
Apr 27, 2007, 8:41 PM
The "vampire" that bled virgins to bath in thier virgin blood cause she believed the blood kept her looking young.

Erzbet Bathory is a common alternative spelling, Tasha.

*Taylor*

Dagni
Apr 27, 2007, 10:10 PM

Erzsébet Báthory is in original Hungarian, and on Slovakian is Alžbeta Bátoriová. That's in original, but famous known as Elizabeth Bathory.

I think she was great person.

deletetacount123
Apr 27, 2007, 10:16 PM
Erzsébet Báthory is in original Hungarian, and on Slovakian is Alžbeta Bátoriová. That's in original, but famous known as Elizabeth Bathory.

I think she was great person.

Whats so great about bleeding virgins to death and bathing in thier blood ??
Ya, I guess everyone wants to look young and will do anything lol but she murdered all those girls!!!!!!!!!!!

Then she herself, died a horrible death!! When caught, was walled up and left to die :(

I think they had horrible punishments back then.
Walled up, Drowned, Hanged......

ohbimale
Apr 27, 2007, 11:13 PM
What is in a name? There is some justification for being attracted to people because of their name. Your name plays a key role not just in how others see you, but how you see yourself. For example I have always liked the name Angelique. A french version of the name Angel. I think James is a sexy name for a guy. It is perfectly normal to be attracted to a name. :male:

ambi53mm
Apr 28, 2007, 1:11 AM
Another interesting aspect of names is how they go from a proper name into a nickname like Robert to Bob or Robbie, Ed to Eddie, Patricia to Patty, Thomas to Tommy. Katherine to Kathy. Sometimes names get shortened as well such as when Mrs. Buchetticii becomes Mrs. B. or Mr. Dazzinno becomes Mr. D….. I’ll admit it could under certain circumstances, be convenient to address people by their first initial for example if I walked into a room and needed quickly to get Alice, Brian, and Carroll at the far end of the room along with Derrick and Ellen to exit the space I could simply say:

Hey A,B, & C go grab D& E and quit Fn’ around.

Text messaging is taking it’s toll on names LOL

Ambi :)

FalconAngel
Apr 28, 2007, 1:16 AM
Falcon.....

I often wonder if names we like so much have some kind of meaning behind them.
Sometimes I look at the names I like a lot.... and it seems 1 or more I feel like I KNOW this person with that name but I don't... never have.
Could it mean I WILL in the future?? Maybe its not time to meet that person but I was given a clue to the name... whenever its a first name or middle name.

I have strong feelings towards Elizabeth. I have never known an Elizabeth in my life.

The name Elizabeth got popluar due to the first queen Elizabeth but for me, I feel the name has nothing to do with the queen. lol Just that they share the name.

Tasha

Tasha.

All names (except for the ones that the ghetto moms made up in the 70's - the ones that "sound" French or African but really are just fabricated from thin air) have meanings.
Belle, for instance, is French for Beautiful. Beau (male - Fr.) means the same.
My own given name, in Latin means "Christbearer" and in Gaelic means "whimsical". My middle name in Gaelic means "defender".

You can find all sorts of books on names and their meanings in just about any decent bookstore (Barnes and Noble, B. Dalton, etc.). You can probably even find the info on the web. Just google for names and their meanings.

tink1978
Apr 28, 2007, 1:29 AM

Tasha you dont like men this does not surprize me

Solomon
Apr 28, 2007, 7:19 AM
Words are very powerful things and names more so.

I am about to get a bit metaphysical here, so bear with me, please.

What's in a name? Quite a bit.
Certain names produce certain long-term effects on the individuals throughout their entire lives. In many religions, Names are so critical that parents spend months deciding on the names of their children, not for names that they feel any personal attraction to, but names that bring with them certain magical or cosmic significance.

For instance, the Name Rhiannon is not necessarily a name that most Pagan folk would be willing to saddle their daughter with because of the difficulties and trials in life that will come with that name. (feel free to look up the Rhiannon legend in Irish folklore)

Conversely, the name Alexander may not conjour any specific desires in most folk, but it does exude power and strength for almost everyone that hears it. One need only look in a decent baby book which has the name meanings to see the significance of a name.

Now when we decide that we like certain names, it is the vibration of that sound on our own individual aural "chemistries". Since each person is different, then different sounds and names will have different effects on each of us.

So, can we feel an attraction to certain names? Yes, we can. Names are very powerful, just like any words.

i agree... names are powerful

i wonder that it has to do with the associations to the people that have those names, and the idea that it could be a permanent subconsious reminder of the people that have the qualities that we seek for ourselves... thereby influencing the decisions that we make in our day to day lives?

i do believe that there is also the connectedness in a psychic sense between us all and if that is also reinforced and enhanced through learning about the different individuals and all in association with our own names... i wonder if that could be powerful in directing our thoughts in day to day living

this is a very interesting matter, thanks Tasha for asking!

deletetacount123
Apr 28, 2007, 10:08 AM
Tasha you dont like men this does not surprize me

I do like Ryan :) Childhood favortie male name lol
As an adult.... I do happen to like John and James :)

jaglvr
Apr 28, 2007, 11:51 AM
I have never liked my own name Joshua, I just never really identified with it for some reason. Eventually everyone started calling me Jack (mostly due to a favored beverage) and now I strongly identify with it which is equally a mystery. I have always felt that names have an influence on the type of personality you develop. Previously mentioned was a bully named Billy. Though of course not universally true I have known multiple Billys that were bullies. Perhaps the personality type that associate with Jack is more desirable than that with Joshua. I have an aversion to biblical names (my own included) mostly because they are so overused. When naming my sons I looked for names that weren't too common. Tiegan, Aiden, Oliver, Sabastian, I was a big fan of Dmitri too. They may not be rare per se but I didn't know anybody with those names. I definitely disagree with juniors. Your name should be your own. Your surname is what you share with your family.

bearisbare
Apr 28, 2007, 1:03 PM

I love them too. :-)

LoveLion
Apr 29, 2007, 3:20 AM
There is most certainly a thing about being attracted to names. There are a few names that I LOVE.

The odd thing is though, is that I am gay (a 6 on the scale), but I dont have any real attraction to any male names. There are some female names I find very beautiful and would name my daughter if I were ever to have one.

My number one for all time is Jocelyn. Most gorgeous name on the planet. I would change my name in a second, I dont care if its a female name.

I also like Emily, Emma and Naomi.

preppyglam
Apr 30, 2007, 2:52 AM
All I know is there are names that turn me off, for sure. I dated a lot of "J" named people. But didn't end up with one.