TaylorMade
Apr 27, 2009, 3:03 AM
What do vocalists in the Netherlands, South Africa, DC, New Orleans and Cali
Native American,Congolese, Spanish, and French Percussionists
Venezuelan, American, Brazilian and Spanish Guitarists
Russian and South African Cellists
And an Italian Saxophone player

Have in common?

This. (http://www.vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=2539741)

*Taylor*

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Apr 27, 2009, 3:45 AM
Very cool, Taylor. :}
Cat

MetaSexual2
Apr 27, 2009, 5:04 AM
That was awesome Taylor, thanks for posting. Even cooler for me as I have heard both Roger Ridley and Grandpa Elliot performing live on the street at various times over the last ten years, but I never knew their names before this. The ability of music to break down barriers is truly amazing, definitely a cause worth supporting.

I think I'll write to PlayingForChange and let them know they should think about recording segments here in Brighton at the world sacred music festival, as the collection of different musical styles coming together in their videos reminded me very much of the type of stuff you see here... http://www.worldsacredmusic.org/

codybear3
Apr 27, 2009, 2:32 PM
Wow, this was great... It fills my heart with good feelings to see my Native brothers from New Mexico in this video... Thanks for sharing... :paw::paw:

TaylorMade
Apr 27, 2009, 4:05 PM
Oh, there's MORE. . .

One Love (http://www.playingforchange.com/episodes/3/One_Love)

They have a CD/DVD out too if you want to take it with you. :D

*Taylor*

Intimate_Light
Apr 27, 2009, 5:22 PM
Yup, been aware of that one for a while after I saw it on PBS -- and how fellow video editors had great things to say about it from a professional stand point too (I'm a member at such a site since I've got my own skills in that area).

And pro film-makers/editors can be a tough bunch in terms of critique, lemme tell ya :)

Lonewolf76
Apr 27, 2009, 10:37 PM
Taylor,
You've done it again! That was awesome, thanks sooooo much for sharing. As a musician - it moved me to tears. Just further proof that music is indeed the universal language. Wolfie

Cherokee_Mountaincat
Apr 27, 2009, 10:53 PM
I have to agree with the Indian gentleman in the vid, and with Wolfie as well. Music Is the universal language. It doesnt matter how old you are, what your background is, or Who you are. If it touches your soul in some small way, or a Great way, then thats all that matters.
One heart, one mind. That says it all. :}
Music loving old Cat

Alice Green
Apr 27, 2009, 11:47 PM
Thank you for making me remember feelings I haven't felt for a long time for me. I've got to say I love this song but also at the same time it makes me sad don't know why it just does but I feel like how this soing sounds.

12voltman59
Apr 28, 2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks for posting that video Taylor--that is a great project--they sure used a great song---one of the great R & B songs----I hope they have more of these planned.

Street musicians are great---so much unrecognized talent out there playing and making "REAL" music---not like much of the crap that gets pushed off by the record companies in all of the various musical genres. It seems that most of what comes out of the recording industry these days is so canned and designed to only sell bunches of "records" now--but is not music that will stand the test of time. They make hits for today, then move on to the next big thing--both for the music itself and those who "perform" it.

Now---to me---making music is perhaps one of the most "sacred" things we human beings can do---I firmly believe that making music----real music---is one of the ways we do get closest to whatever "god" is------music does seem to be something that is encoded in our genes.

They have found that among those who have suffered strokes or other brain injuries-----even when they have trouble operating their arms and legs or speaking---people can remember much of the music they have known and by tapping into that stored "database" of music---can help heal such people. Apparently--the part of the brain that music gets "stored"----does not get hurt in medical situations like stroke or suffering a blow to the brain.

One of the aspects of the new iteration of Battlestar Gallactica that I really liked the notion of---that a song like "All Along the Watchtower" is many thousands of years old and it somehow floats around in the ether and that every once in awhile--- the song "gets captured" by someone becoming music that "people" can enjoy.

Thanks again Taylor--great video!!